Kitchen Cabinet Reveal!

Monday, October 6, 2014

It has been a long time coming, but I am finally ready to reveal our updated kitchen cabinets!

After a hectic week at camp with my fifth graders, I was able to muster up the energy to put the finishing touches on the longest cabinet redo ever.

I had mentioned before that we were going to go for more modern look with grey cabinets and white counters, but after some talking it through, we decided to go with our favorite stain; General Finishes Java Gel Stain.

Yes, a sleek white kitchen would be so dreamy, but Chris and I are far from sleek, or dreamy. Our house is not built to have a million dollar kitchen. We live in a neighborhood where our same house is a couple houses down. Realistically speaking, we don't want to put too much money into this house since we don't plan on being here forever. We still plan on going with a light granite and back-splash, so that should keep things bright!

We already had the stain since we have used it to transform our bathroom cabinets and our nightstands, so this whole cabinet renovation cost zero dollars. That was another major plus to going this route instead of painting them.

Another deciding factor; the Texas humidity. Seriously, it takes paint for-ev-er and a day to dry here and I didn't want to chance God knows what flying into our freshly painted cabinets while they would be drying for an eternity out in our garage.

After two full weekends of hard work, I am happy to say that this project is complete. Having the cabinets done makes us want to put a rush on getting granite, new floors, and an island, so we are starting to get the ball rolling in those areas!

Here is a look back at what they were before:


PS: the color is not as black as it comes off in pictures.







Linking up with Leann and Kimberlee!

17 comments:

  1. looks great! I love that you decided to stain them, everyone has a white kitchen these days, I like seeing something a little different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! Looks like your hard work definitely paid off!
    xo, Whitney and Blaire
    Peaches In A Pod

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like a brand new kitchen friend. Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! looks so new and modern!
    XO Ellen from Ask Away Advice & Fashion Blog
    www.askawayblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Sarah, night and day difference! You've inspired me to try this on the oak wardrobe that I can't figure out what to do with. It looks exactly like your before and I love the darker finish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome. Looks so good! I'm a big fan of darker brown cabinets. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cannot imagine how long this took. I did a china hutch with the gel stain and it took me forever to get every crack and cranny!! Way to go! those cabinets look tons better :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. They turned out FABULOUS!!! Great job my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks so nice and professional! Abi :)
    MyW0rldMyView

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look awesome!!!! Updating our cabinets is definitely on our to-do list as well, but we aren't sure what direction to go yet. We have a TINY kitchen and wait for it--- navy blue countertops!! ;) Like you said, we don't want to invest a TON of money into a house we're not going to be in forever- but an update is definitely still needed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow what a difference! Can't wait to see what you pick out for the counter tops! I'm sure it will look great. And good for you for pushing through and getting it done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the new color!! Kitchen remodels are always one of my most favorite rooms in the house to do.

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE the way they turned out! I have white cabinets, and while I love a white kitchen, dark cabinets looks amazing and hide dirt a LOT better than white!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful kitchens It looks fabulous and the pulls are great to.It's the perfect depth to compliment the structure and detail of the walls and the rest of the room surrounding, and blends in gorgeously.
    Kitchen remodeling Austin

    ReplyDelete