I Quit Being A Stay At Home Mom

Tuesday, August 1, 2017


Hi, friends! I'm coming at you today with another turn in this crazy adventure we call life!

As my post title says, I quit being a stay at home mom! Yup! Only two months ago I wrote out how we felt it was right for me to stay home with Graham and here I am telling you that job wasn't for me. Let me explain.

Last summer I ultimately decided to go back to teaching because I knew, at that time, I wasn't cut out to stay at home with a baby all day, everyday. Yes, I LOVE my child and would literally do ANYTHING in the world for him, but I needed adults.

Fast forward to the end of this school year and G is a totally different kid. Chris and I talked and we decided it would be fun for me to stay home this coming year. 

So, I happily resigned and assumed my new role under Graham's leadership.

And, after two months I started panicking because I realized that this was my new normal. Everyone got to go to work and talk with adults and sip coffee and go to the restroom alone, and I couldn't. Then, I started realizing that, now that I'm home, I'm now the primary cook and cleaner. Then I really started to panic!! I can stay home with G, but being a 'homemaker' is NOT my jam!! 

I resigned in hopes to get a position the district was implementing that was three days a week. It was a new program and I applied to get more information about it at the end of the school year. After contacting my old principal and asking if there were any updates about that position, he let me know that the district had decided to no go with that 'plan.'

That was my plan!! I was so in love with the thought of working three days a week! Now, here I was in July thinking how I did not feel "ready" to be home with G full time!

So, I sent out a desperate plea to my old principal whom graciously told me that, sadly, all the spots were full at my old school, but he would pass my name along.

Bing, bang, boom and I'm now going to be an instructional coach at a school just a few miles away from my old one!! 

I AM SO EXCITED!! 

This position is different than a homeroom teacher position. I will be going in to classrooms and pulling very small groups of students to target instruction. 

As always, thanks for supporting me on this journey! I feel like this is the perfect job for me and I'm really excited to get back into the swing of the school year! 

10 comments:

  1. Congrats to you! I think I would have that exact reaction if I were in your shoes. My stepsister stays at home with her 2 kiddos and you can tell she misses adult conversation bc she just can't be quiet when she's around us. I haven't said much yet but I am leaving the teaching profession since I haven't gotten a classroom yet and entering the business profession. I'm scared but know I have to do this in order for the next step in our family. Best wishes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Congratulations on the new job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's such a tough decision either way! I've been home with Harrison for 16 months and have struggled a lot with it. I am now applying to some PT positions to change up our routine/bring in some extra money/pee in peace lol. And I feel like I'm in the opposite boat as you, where I can cook and clean all day but I'm not a teacher by any means and this kid is SMART and needs some stimulation outside of me just reading and doing flashcards. Good luck on your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay, congrats! Things come along for a reason! I've been having this same debate, I work full time, but have been contemplating staying home, which scares the you know what out of me! Like all day everyday, plus having to clean and doing everything else...yikes. Still debating, hard to give up a job making money ya know? Good luck! I'm sure you'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy for you friend. It's amazing how God opens doors we didn't know we wanted opened.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay!! That is great that you got a new job! Congratulations and good luck!

    xx, Elise
    www.sparkleandslippers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats! I love the opportunity teaching gives to be a stay at home parent during summers and breaks, but not year round!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a great fit! My kids and I both flourished more with me as a work outside the house mom. It's kind of funny how God puts the right mom and kid together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! I love reading your POV as a young mom, it's very refreshing!

    ReplyDelete